Volunteer Application Process
1. Review “Things to Consider" when applying to be a Hospice Volunteer.
2. Download an Application Form.
3. Complete application form, including the names and contact information of two references.
4. Mail completed form to Huron Hospice, Clinton Public Hospital ,98 Shipley Street, Clinton, Ontario N0M 1L0 or send via e-mail email@example.com.
5. Call for an introductory interview with a Hospice representative.
6. Attend a Volunteer Training/Orientation session.
7. Submit screening documentation – 2 pieces of ID – one with your photo on it, driver’s abstract (if applicable), immunization and insurance verification (for client support volunteers only).
8. Hospice staff will discuss with you potential volunteering placement opportunities.
Volunteers (client support) are expected to attend monthly professional development meetings.
Volunteers are expected to submit all hours related to their hospice work on a monthly basis.
Volunteers become part of a large caring team – working together to support Mission, Vision, Values. Confidentiality must be observed at all times.
All applicants must pass a screening process and meet the qualifications and requirements of the position to be accepted into the program.
Must demonstrate emotional maturity, stability and dependability
Have good listening skills and comfort with silences
Must have a cooperative attitude
Must be non-judgmental – no matter the situation
Be able to work as part of a team member with professional staff and other volunteers
Commitment to maintain confidentiality
Share a strong sense of the mission, goals and objectives of hospice
Have good interpersonal skills, good communication skills, and the ability to take direction
Be able to handle difficult situations in a caring, empathetic manner
Build positive community relations
Help as able with other functions of hospice – such as fundraising and public relations events
*** Please note: Not all applicants are guaranteed acceptance in the Huron Hospice Volunteer program. The first six months of volunteering will serve as a probationary period and determine the best fit for your volunteer role with Huron Hospice.
Download a Volunteer Application Form for Huron Hospice Volunteer Service.